Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Clipping Those Coupons!

One of my newest goals is to see how much money I can save and how I can best spend our money. The hubby and I are pretty good with money and also savings. However, we do not have a budget per say and I think we can spend too much on things like groceries and eating out. I am trying to be better with our money and also doing whatever I can do to help reduce costs so we can put more into savings each month and also paying off things like our vehicle and student loan.

I have cut coupons for awhile but a lot of times I forget I have them or we are out and decide to go to the grocery store and I don’t have my coupons. Well I have found that couponing can save you a TON of money, especially if you match your coupons to store sales. This has been my recent quest.

Over the weekend I was visiting my cousin and his wife started putting her coupons into a 3 ring binder. I have seen this before and remember thinking to myself that those people were real serious couponers. I got behind one in line about a month ago when Kmart was having their double coupon weeks. The lady ended up spending right over a hundred dollars when her original bill totaled to around $270.00 (I can’t remember the exact costs). I was in coupon envy! That’s a lot of money!

So I decided that I was going to make a coupon notebook. You use:

· 1-3 ring binder
· plastic baseball card protector sheets (as many as you think you will need; each sheet has 9 slots
· dividers


(note:  my notebook looks like this but this is not mine-it is a picture I found on google to give you a visual!)

I divided all my coupons out into categories and then started filling my protector sheets. Each slot got one coupon. If I had multiple coupons I would use the same slot. I then put dividers between each section (heath/beauty products, cleaning supplies, frozen foods, baking, etc). It is a nice visual of the coupons you have and it makes it so easy when trying to look through ads and seeing what is on sale and matching it to your coupon.

I happened to have everything on hand so I didn’t spend any money out of pocket!

I am also considering doing the envelope system where you put a certain amount of money in an envelope for things like eating out, groceries and gas and you only spend what is in that envelope.

Any other money saving ideas?
November is a new month and I am going to see how much extra I can save!


2 comments:

  1. I ALSO have a coupon binder! It's saved me being organized :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a coupon binder but that is an awesome idea! I usually keep them in the packets because some of the sites have you match up the coupon to the date it came in the paper. But I'm definitely going to try this! I clipped the other day and saved $58 on a $102 grocery bill.

    My hubby and I have started a thing where we go out once a week for date night and that's it. I also realized that a lot of times we go out to eat when we just need something fast. That's where we were spending most of our money, like $10 to $15 at a time. So next time we get like that, I'm going to go to the store instead and grab a quick meal or something from the deli...it's at least cheaper than eating out! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete